Do you want to support a Young Person to gain some work experience?
Then the Kickstart scheme could be for you!
Exeter City Council is acting as a Gateway Organisation for the Government Kickstart scheme designed to support young people (aged 16-24) to gain work experience.
If you are interested in providing placements through the scheme, but can’t offer the 30 needed to apply direct, then the city council can apply on your behalf.
The scheme offers employers the opportunity to;
• Create new 6-month job placements for young people who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment,
• Access funding for;
– 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week
– the associated employer National Insurance contributions
– employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
• Access additional funding to support the young person to access the placement and improve their skills.
It is important to note the following criteria for the scheme;
The job placements created with Kickstart funding must be new jobs.
They must not:
• replace existing or planned vacancies
• cause existing employees or contractors to lose or reduce their employment
The roles you are applying for must be:
• a minimum of 25 hours per week, for 6 months
• paid at least the National Minimum Wage for their age group
• should not require people to undertake extensive training before they begin the job placement
• be funded by the Kickstart Scheme grant and would not exist without this funding
• be paid from the grant money for the 25 hours per week on National Minimum Wage (employers can pay a higher wage and pay for more hours)
Employers must be able to develop the applicant’s skills and experience (Exeter City Council will support you with this), including:
• support to look for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals
• support with CV and interview preparations
• supporting the participant with basic skills, such as attendance, timekeeping and teamwork
If you are interested in offering a placement to a young person, you can complete the online application form and find out more by visiting the dedicated web pages:
If you have any questions about the scheme, please email the city council at firstname.lastname@example.org.