THREE WEEK COURSE
ARRIETTY AT EXETER PHOENIX
INTRODUCTION TO DRESSMAKING: MAKE YOUR OWN SHIFT DRESS
Work with Arrietty to make your very own dress.
Please note that you will need to be able to use a sewing machine independently to join this course. If you are not confident using a machine please look at the suitability of our Sewing Basics course.
During this three week course you will learn how to make a sleeveless shift dress (pattern provided). You will cover:
- Background to adapting a pattern to fit your measurements
- How to read a pattern and cut out your fabric
- Add darts
- Insert a zip
- Use facings
- Sewing hems
- Getting the right length and change the neck-line of your dress
Workshop attendees get 10% off all food and hot drinks at the Café Bar.
Laurel Coxon (BA Hons Textiles) is a textiles practitioner and tutor at Exeter College. She has also been running her own business for the last 4 years, selling her designs and teaching classes.
Participants will need to:
- Send your measurements (bust, hips and waist) to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance to make you a pattern.
- Bring 2.5m of fabric (minimum 115cm width) and matching thread.
- Bring a basic sewing kit and sewing machine – or you can rent one for the course for £5 per session.
Suitable fabrics: Medium weight dress fabric or light weight furnishing fabric. We recommend using cotton, linen, lightweight denim, wool or corduroy for this dress.