Ahead of its much-anticipated new store opening on 10th May 2018, home furnishings retailer IKEA will be bringing the “Wonderful Everyday Tour” to Exeter and the wider region, giving residents and visitors the chance to experience the little things in life that make the everyday more wonderful.
From Friday 13th April to Thursday 10th May 2018, ten unique mini events and installations will be popping up in and around Exeter, bringing IKEA’s philosophy of the “Wonderful Everyday” to life, and giving Devon residents a preview of what’s to come when the new store opens.
The “Wonderful Everyday Tour” will run for four weeks prior to the store opening and has been designed to surprise and delight the people of Devon.
The “Wonderful Everyday Tour” includes:
1. Cathedral Cinema When: Friday 13th April, 6pm – 8.30pm and 9pm – 11.30pm, and Saturday 14th April 2018, 5pm – 7.45pm and 8pm – 11pm Where: Exeter Cathedral What: Catch one of our one-off screenings of Paddington 2, La La Land, Coco and Dunkirk inside the city’s most iconic building, Exeter Cathedral. Visitors can grab some popcorn from the IKEA kitchen and snuggle up with IKEA’s comfiest cushions and blankets. Free tickets for the films will be available online through the IKEA Exeter website.
– The Glass Boat When: Monday 23rd April to Thursday 10th May 2018 Where: Princesshay Shopping Centre What: To pay homage to Exeter’s maritime history, IKEA is working with local artist, Roop Johnstone, to create his own take on the classic River Exe Salmon Boat using over 500 pieces of IKEA glassware. The sculpture will be installed at Princesshay Shopping Centre and a donation will be made by IKEA to Exeter Street Art Festival in the summer.
– Shopping Pit Stop When: Tuesday 24th April – Monday 30th April 2018 Where: Princesshay Shopping Centre What: Shopping doesn’t always have to be tiring! IKEA is creating tranquil zones at the Princesshay Shopping Centre, with comfy armchairs, IKEA snacks and phone chargers so shoppers can take a well-earned rest and recover, recharge and refuel.
– Station Meditation When: Tuesday 1st May – Thursday 10th May 2018 Where: Exeter St Davids and Central Station What: IKEA will be providing an oasis of calm at Exeter’s busiest train stations, Exeter St Davids and Central Station, by transforming waiting rooms into chill out zones, full of lush houseplants and beautiful greenery, along with comfortable chairs, soft textiles, soothing music and great reads. For families, there will also be a kids’ colouring book using the famous Exeter Swifts to teach the Swedish philosophy of Lagom, which promotes a more sustainable, healthy and balanced lifestyle.
– A Lift on Laundry Day When: Saturday 5th May 2018 Where: Kenjo Laundrette and Dry Cleaners, 139 Sidwell St, Exeter EX4 6RT What: IKEA is making laundry day more wonderful. For one day only, local residents will be able to do their washing in the company of Exeter’s local musicians, along with free washes courtesy of IKEA. By kitting out Kenjo’s space, from now on the wait there will be a lot more comfortable.
– Exeter by Bike When: Sunday 6th May 2018, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm Where: Exeter Civic Centre, Paris Street What: Tour Exeter in style and safely with IKEA’s electric bike tour in partnership with Co-bikes. IKEA will provide all of the gear you need, including IKEA SLADDA helmets and hi-vis vests, so riders can see the wonderful sights of Exeter with very little effort at all. The tours are available for anyone aged 16 and up. To see the routes and book a place on a tour, visit IKEA.co.uk/Exeter
To find out more about The Wonderful Everyday Tour, visit IKEA.co.uk/Exeter
Join the conversation on social media at: #WonderfulEveryday